Founded in 1990 (Reg.No. 366/1990), the Gandhi Educational Trust has been established with the following objectives :
- To further the spread of education by setting up model schools, especially in backward areas.
- To setup and manage allied facilities like hostels, libraries and vocational training centres.
- To support - financially and otherwise - needy and deserving children from socially backward strata in their educational endeavors.
- To contribute to popular awareness especially among youth-on various social, environmental and scientific issues through pamphlets, publications, seminars etc.
- To encourage the creative impulse of the younger generation through competitions cultural programmes and group activities.
In pursuance of the above objectives, the Trust has taken its first nascent steps. At present, the Sunbeam Matriculation Higher Secondary School and Sunbeam CBSE School located at Vellore- under the management of the Trust is conducting classes from LKG to Std. XII. That the school has fulfilled a long felt need is testified by the whole hearted public support it has been receiving, making it the most quickly growing school in the area with more than 4000 children.
The Trust has also adopted more than 200 children of the neighbourhood, from economically weaker sections providing them free education.
The library, Computer centre, Gym and Language lab run by the Trust have proven to be a unique facility in a neighborhood devoid of such facilities.
The Trust has conducted from time to time, public meetings, debates and literary and cultural meetings on different occasions. These have been particularly directed towards sensitising the local public on matters concerning science, environment and literature. The "SCIENCEBEAM" series of competitive examinations are held periodically to identify and encourage children.
The Trust is founded at the behest of motivated youth groups from I.I.T. Madras, Gandhigram Rural University and Vellore.
As is apparent, the Trust with its multifaceted development projects, relies on philanthropic individuals and organisations to provide support.